Do you remember any of your important "firsts"?
Take a minute and think.
I'm too old to remember my early "firsts", like my first steps or my first day of school. I do remember my first teacher, Mrs. Herriman. What I remember about her is that she loved us. She was always happy to see us. She was kind and spoke softly and we loved her back. I don't remember exactly what she taught us, but I remember that she made us want to come to school. I see her now in the grocery store and she remembers me. That makes me happy.
I remember the first time I rode on an airplane. My friend Trudy and I booked a trip to Acapulco, Mexico for the March Break. I can't tell you any of the details because this is a family friendly blog, but I definitely caught the travelling bug. I wanted to travel more and see different places.
I remember my first teaching assignment. I was excited and scared, all at the same time. I was anxious to try all the things that I had learned from teacher's college and practice teaching assignments. I wish I could find those kids and tell them that they taught me more than I taught them that year. I would thank them for being patient with me and helping me launch what has become a very rewarding career.
Today we gave "she who shall remain nameless" (aka our daughter) her first car. When I see how excited she is, I remember how it felt to become independent. That first taste of freedom is unforgettable. Now, before you leap to the conclusion that we are excessively wealthy, you need to know that it is a 1990 Pontiac Tempest. Yes, it is 23 years old. It rolled off the assembly line 6 years before she was born. To her, it is perfect. Twenty years from now, she will remember her first car fondly.
We bought the car from her 80 something year old great great aunt. She has decided not to renew her license or drive any longer. She took excellent care of the car. In fact, in 23 years she only put 63 000 kilometers on it. I'm sure when we drove away today she was a little sad. This was her last car.
I don't intend to be this philosophical all the time but I do think it's important to remember the excitement that comes with "firsts". Yesterday when I posted my first blog. I was nervous, worried about looking stupid, yet excited to try something new. What made me want to continue was that sense of satisfaction I felt when I finished and the pride I felt when 3 people commented on it.
I'm going to try and remember this when I head back to the classroom next week. I teach Grade One. Most of my kids will read a book for themselves for the first time when they are in my class. They probably won't grasp the whole idea of what this means but I want to encourage and guide them so that they remember how good it feels to read a book by yourself. Like getting your first car.
Maybe when they see me in the grocery store 35 years from now, they will remember that I loved teaching them how to read. I will remember them by name and this will make them happy.
Welcome to the blogosphere Mrs. Perry. Your first two entries were P's bedtime story tonight. It gave us the idea to look back at the pictures from her first day of school. As I was reflecting on some great memories, your student had to ruin it with "when are you getting me my first new car?" Please have "she who shall remain nameless" take great care of her first car and keep the mileage down. I will pay her bottom dollar for her 33 year old car.
ReplyDeleteHahahahahahahahaha! I love kids! My advice to you is start saving now.
ReplyDelete